There’s nothing more comforting on lazy weekend mornings than the warm smell of coconut waffle. These breakfast superstars contain zero refined sugar and are, of course, dairy-and grain-free, but you won’t miss those aspects at all.
Served straight out of the waffle iron with fresh berries and coconut cream, these light and fluffy beauties will have you wishing you were a kid again. and coconut cream, these light and fluffy beauties will have you wishing you were a kid again.
YIELD: 6–8 WAFFLES
- ¾ cup almond meal or flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp or 1 oz 90 to 100 percent dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 2–3 tbsp coconut oil, melted (for greasing your waffle maker)
1. In a large bowl, blend the dry ingredients (all flours, cocoa, baking powder, and salt) until thoroughly combined.
2. In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the wet ingredients (excluding the chocolate) until thoroughly combined.
3. Scrape the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine. Stir in the chopped chocolate, if using, just before you are ready to cook.
4. Follow the directions for your waffle maker to preheat. Brush the melted coconut oil over the waffle iron on all sides. Spoon batter into each section and close the lid. Remove waffles when done (golden brown and cooked through).
5. Serve immediately or freeze on baking trays in a single layer and reheat in your toaster.
Originally posted 2021-01-01 09:15:21.